So...if ya couldn't tell, I was a little on the grouchy side Friday night while anxiously waiting to get home. Time didn't move fast enough and planes didn't fly fast enough...
When checking in to my flight, I selected a seat near the back of the plane, which is unusual for me, because it was the only set of two seats where I could sit by myself. After being up for over 40 hours, I was not in the mood to share an elbow rest with ANYONE! When I got to my gate in Chicago, I went to the ticket counter to verify that I was still in the double seat by myself. Selfish, I know...but the airline employee gave the "alls good", so I was a tad happier.
Happier until I am sitting in my seat, plane slowly filling up...and what do ya know...I catch the eye of a guy who is eyeing the seat next to me. ERGH! Since I am already seated and a line was quickly forming behind him, in the nicest voice I could muster, I asked if he wanted the window seat or if he wanted me to just slide over. In a very pleasant manner he said he didn't care either way, so I just moved my stuff over, planning to sulk on the 60 min flight home.
Right away the dude started jabbering at me! I grit my teeth and turn to face him with a smile to show I was listening...secretly hoping he would quiet down soon. But he was going on and on about how excited he was to be going to Des Moines! Ok...Des Moines?! Excited?!?! Now I am intrigued! I had to ask! So he told me that he had never been to Des Moines before and then was heading on to Boone. Ok...not only is this guy nuts about going to Des Moines...but now Boone?! He's lost it! So once again I had to ask.
He was going to Boone to speak the next day to a camp of kids who had been diagnosed with cancer, and their families. My jaw dropped. At this point is when we finally did introductions. His name was Jonny Imerman, the founder of www.imermanangels.org . This organization is a company that pairs people diagnosed with cancer to a survivor of the same cancer who is relatively the same age. (Shannon = Speechless now). He went on to share his story about when he was 26yo and was diagnosed with cancer. He said even though his family and friends were always there for him to provide support and care, all he wanted was to have someone who had actually been there at his age to tell him what was next, what to do, and that things really will be alright.
I'm not sure where that hour went...but I was immersed in his stories of pairing people up with his organization, and the group they put together to run the Chicago Marathon next weekend. It was just one of those moments where it made me put my attitude back in check. For the first time in a very long time, I have met someone who not only loved what he did, but was so enthusiatic in making a difference to someone's life. I'm not sure he realized the impact he had on me and my day and how much I truly appreciated it.
Granted I crashed in bed as soon as I got home...but I left the Des Moines airport with a spring in my step...my heart going out to this lively, charasmatic, loving and caring man...Someone determined to make a difference.
2 comments:
Some high power put that person there for you to learn a lesson! Good for you in seeing that.
What a great end to your long, exhausting trip. It sounds like he is doing a great thing for others. It is always great to talk to people that love what they are doing. I hope you are having a great Monday!
Post a Comment