During both eulogies for my grandparents the pastor dedicated a large portion of his talk about how my grandparents were true partners. They were each other's greatest compliments. They challenged each other from completing the daily crossword puzzle first to last minute entertaining of many dinner guests. My grandfather was a lawyer, law professor and dean...but I'm told that he always said his biggest challenge would be if her were to meet up with my Grandmother in a court room. The stories I'm told are of a perfect love affair that lasted beyond the 60 years they were married.
I'm sitting at home tonight...Josh is gone on a trip with his brother and both boys are asleep...and I'm listening to music feeling reflective. Thinking about the things going on in my life...taking and assessment that I am truly doing everything I can to make each day better that the one before. The song Grandpa begins to play...and I think about how I would love to sit down with my grandpa and say:
Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days
Sometimes it feels like, this worlds gone crazy.
Grandpa, take me back to yesterday
When the line between right and wrong
Didn't seem so hazy.
Grandpa, everything is changing fast
We call it progress, but I just don't know
And Grandpa, let's wonder back into the past
Paint me a picture of long ago.
I would then ask:
Did lovers really fall in love to stay?
And stand beside each other come what may?
Was a promise really something people kept?
Not just something they would say and then forget?
Did families really bow their heads to pray?
Did daddies really never go away?
Oh Grandpa...tell me 'bout the good old days......
1 comment:
That's always been one of my favorite songs. I sang it with my daddy when I was a kid. I haven't thought about that in years.
Love you!
Post a Comment